TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Interesting way to address the issue
People Seeking Info

Subject Interesting way to address the issue

Posted by BlackholeZ on August 21, 2023 at 3:29 PM
  This message has been viewed 245 times.

In Reply To UPP V2 Precision Greasable Shifter Bushings posted by Polishzx on August 18, 2023 at 01:37 PM

Message Glad to see something that'll hopefully work for those without a machine shop.
I spent a while trying to fix the same problem a while back with my own shifter. I decided to essentially replace the stock urethane with bronze and keep the stock shaft/collar and bolt assembly with the sliding happening between the shaft and the bushings. The problem came down to the same thing that Trevor dealt with, which is the bore on the bottom of the shifter isn't consistent. I had to custom size the shoulders on my bushings to assemble just shorter than the shaft, and then once they were installed I had to ream them in place because the bore isn't round and ended up binding. It's been great for all the years, just too much work to be worth doing for anyone else. Also I was going for perfection. I think I had less than 0.005" clearance between the shaft and bushing, can't remember how much end play. With grease in it I couldn't measure any play at all.

Here's my post from (holy crap) 11 years ago.

-Dan

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a
horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse."
"'she' also likes to swap since I think I am going to need to give her to
woody again." - Dvlhntr
"full alphabetic boost mode" -
ChristopherTheOne

" Purrs like a sexually satisfied black panther." - BigTDogg
"Two oil eating, angry, spinning triangles of death." - turtleboy on
rotary engines

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.